Interview a woman on her decision to have children or be childless.
For this blog, I interviewed my coworker Amy. She does not have any children so I asked her why. Amy said that she always wanted children and her husband did too. However, she and her husband work long and crazy hours at work and don’t feel that they are in a place in their lives where this could happen. She said it is unfair to a child to be left in daycare for twelve hours a day or be raised by a nanny. She said she barely even gets enough time to spend with her husband. Also, when they do get time off from work they like to travel and adding a child to the family may mean less traveling. She said that hopefully when they get more financially stable in the next few years she can hopefully quit working and have a baby. This would give her more time to spend with the child and she could raise it the way she and her husband want to. I think that it is good that she wants to be able to have time for a child before she has one, but not many households in the country work like that. Sometimes if you keep waiting for something to change then you may never have a family. I remember when I was little my parents drove an hour and a half to work each day one way. They were gone for twelve hours a day, and I ended up making sure that my little brother and I got dressed and caught the school bus every morning. I didn’t mind that my parents worked so much because I knew that they were just trying to earn the money to give my brother and I a good life. They spent time with us when they could but to me it wasn’t about the quantity of time but the quality of time. We spent much quality time together as a family.
Monday, September 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Great comments! I agree that if people wait to have children, something will always stand in the way. If you are financially stable and have most of what you need in life, you should have children. I wouldn't want to start having children when I'm over 35. This increases the chances of the baby having abnormalities. If they don't children, that's cool. But if they do, they shoud go ahead because things will always happen in life to make it not a good time.
ReplyDeleteSamisha
Hi Jennifer,
ReplyDeleteI do see alot of couples that choose not to have children either due to work or feelings of loosing ones freedom. I do think kids are a big responsibility but if you wait until its the right time, the right time may never come. If you were to have the right job,the right house, the right car, the list can go on and on forever. I come from a family of four children and we too had to get ready on our own in the mornings, do our homework, work on projects, go to the library. both of our parents worked full time, so it was up to the older kids to keep things in order at the house. We knew our responsibilities and my parents expectations of us. I dont think I felt as though I needed more of their time, the time that we did spend toghether was full of good memories. I do agree with you its not the quantity but the quality of time we spend with our children. Judy M
Dear Jennifer,
ReplyDeleteI found your comments on having children very positive and wise.Children have to spend more time with his/her parents and you have to be ready and sometimes you have to give up your freedom to take care of them.what i think is one shouldn't be afraid of having children simply because you don't think you can spend more time with your child. Things can be managed after you give birth to your child but it's always a good and a wise decision to be in a good shape both financially and mentally.