What would you tell a friend or loved one who suspected that she might have an STD but was afraid to get tested?
I would tell a friend or loved one that it is very important they get tested to either confirm their suspicions or hopefully find out their suspicions were wrong. I actually had this talk with one of my good friends recently. She was worried about how people would perceive her if they found out. I told her it didn’t matter how she was perceived and that it important to find out early if in fact she did have an STD because it could be treated sooner if found early. If I had to talk to someone again about why they should get checked, I am much better prepared now after doing some research. Obviously anyone engaging in sexual activity can get an STD regardless of racial ethnicity, class or social standings. It is all in how we as women protect ourselves but if a women thinks she may have contracted a disease she definitely needs to get tested because most sexually transmitted diseases come with complications such as infertility problems, pelvic inflammatory disease, cervical cancer or even death. Pelvic inflammatory disease is the most frequent complication of an STD and affects over a million women each year causing infertility, ectopic pregnancies and even death (Alexander, 2010). Infections such as Gonorrhea, Chlamydia and Syphilis can be treated with high doses of antibiotics if caught very early. Others such as Herpes cannot be cured and there is still an infection remaining even between outbreaks when the sores have healed (Alexander, 2010). It is so easy to get an STD in today’s world because people tend to have multiple sex partners and do not always use protection. I would definitely encourage a friend or loved one to get tested as soon as possible if they feel they may have an STD before the complications get worse and the treatments are not as effective.
References
Alexander, L, et al. (2010). Reproductive Tract Infections and HIV/AIDS. , New Dimensions in Women’s Health (pp.174-191.). Sudbury: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
Monday, October 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Jennifer, good for you for setting your friend on the right track. This topic can be such a personal and embarrassing subject of most people to talk about hypothetically, much less when it is really happening to them. Don’t you feel good knowing that if this situation should come up again, you will be better equipped to answer questions somewhat informed or at least offer reading material to help them take a positive step in their own health care management?
ReplyDeleteYou should most definitely encourage your friend to get tested. I agree with Julie in that you are a good freind for doing so. Many young people don't get tested for fear of their parents or other teenagers finding out. I have even heard the saying, "What you don't know can't hurt you". This is so untrue. In the case of STDs, what you don't know can hurt you. So even if you didn't have all the information, you did the right thing.
ReplyDeleteSamisha Robinson
Jennifer,
ReplyDeleteIt shows how great of a friend you are because your friend chose you to tell something so personal and private. Although at the time, you weren't as informed as we all are now after reading this last chapter, I'm thankful that you encouraged her to get tested.
Hi Jennifer,
ReplyDeleteSometimes its difficult for people to come forward with information regarding their sexual lives, but it is important to get tested especially if there is suspicion of an STD. I know your friend problably felt embarrased to tell you, but at least she was able to tell someone. Im glad you guided her the right way, it is more than just treating the STD, it left untreated it can affect the rest of her life. Not to mention it gave you knowledge on how to deal with a similar situation next time.
I agree with the other posts that you were definatly being a good friend. I think it is important that if a friend comes forward in this situation that we are encouraging, yet accurate with the information we give them. I think it is important as health care workers that we encourage friends, even if they are not supicious of a disease to be tested regularly if they are having multiple sex partners.
ReplyDelete