Monday, December 7, 2009

Blog 15

What are some possible strategies for women to use in finding balance in their professional, educational and personal lives?

Women tend to juggle many roles and therefore need to find a way to balance all of those roles in order to help from getting stressed. First of all, women need to decide the importance of the activities they do on a daily basis. For instance, if you say “yes” to an offer for dinner with a friend that may mean less time for exercise or time with the children. You have to decide if it is worth it. Also, divide the workload fairly for women that are married. The spouse can help with household chores, grocery shopping and helping with the kids. We don’t have to be superwoman. Communication is a great strategy to help balance a full day. Communicate appropriately with a boss and coworkers as well as a spouse. Let them know that you have to leave work on time to pick up the kids or for whatever else you may have to do. Finding great childcare can be a challenge but definitely can help a woman balance everything. If a woman can find someone they trust to look after the children then they at least won’t worry about the kids while at work and can focus more on work. An important strategy to help keep balance and a good relationship with a spouse is to schedule time with them every once in a while. A weekly date night would be good to reconnect without the kids. Also women need to schedule time for themselves either with friends or alone. This could be a few hours at the gym, a night out with the girls or a pedicure and massage will usually do the trick. Busy woman needs to recharge without feeling guilty about it.

5 comments:

  1. You are so right, but it is very hard to take time for yourself without feeling guilty about it. Balancing professional, educational and social lives can be very frustrating at times. It really is a matter of deciding what your priorities are. In the past I was very much a procrastinator I would wait till the last day to do anything. This last year I have been much better about saying on top of things. Being back to work full time, taking classes, coaching basketball, and then taking care of all the small things that add up around the house have made me realize that I can't afford to lose any time by procrastinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good ideas. I especially was hit by the one about saying "yes" to some invite or offer is also, in effect, saying "no" to something or someone else. Often I just say "Yes" because thats my nature. But as I think about this, umm, you are right. I see how saying "yes" to something which will take me away from my family, then I am saying "no" to my family-time. From now on, when I am asked to help out with such and such...I might respond with "If I say 'yes' to you, I am saying 'no' to my family time. And I can't do that because I LOVE my family time!!" Thank you for a wonderful insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer,
    Women tend to have the brunt of the responsibility when it comes to juggling children, home and professional life, its like society expects women to be able to handle all the responsibility. I agree with you in having time to focus on different things in your life. Not every women has that luxury though, sometimes finding someone to talk to will also help greatly or a support group in the internet....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenifer,
    I agree with your posting. I have to juggle my life schedule like you do. I have work and family to take care off plus school. I agree with you that great communication to one another is very important to be able for us to juggle our busy lifestyle. Also having time management helps me a lot. I tried to set a schedule time for my school works; otherwise, it will never get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can understand the need for a recharge on occasion. It is an everday effort to balance family with work. I will have to make the effort to actually say yes to doing something for myself.

    ReplyDelete